Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The City of Gainesville | #5, Should Have Been #1 to Me

For those that know me, you can vouch for the fact that I am VERY proud of my Chicagoland heritage.  Though most of my city's sports team - for which I am a devout fan of all of them - have not given me much to cheer for lately (except in hockey.. GO BLACKHAWKS!), I am still proud to call the Land of Lincoln my home.  This is largely why I made up my mind that my stay in Gainesville, Florida was going to be short-lived when I first moved here in 2006. Eight years, a marriage, great church, and one son later, I have placed roots in the great city of Gainesville, Florida.  These 8 years as a citizen roughly equate to 25% of my life and it doesn't seem that I will be moving anywhere any time soon. So, it's safe to say, I'm a "Gainesvillian!"

A recent report released by Movoto Real Estate listed our great city of Gainesville, Florida as the #5 best place to live in the entire state of florida - trailing only Coral Springs, Deerfield Beach, Winter Park, and Pompano Beach.  These were the reasons cited for their determination of placing Gainesville at #5:
  • Low unemployment rate (7.9%)
  • Low cost of living
  • Low average commute time (20 minutes)
  • Beautiful average summer temperature (79 degrees)…. not sure how they came up with that one
  • (No surprise here) The University of Florida offering a college town vibe sparking music venues, bars, art festivals, and local improv groups.
However, having lived here for the past 8 years and deeply exploring Gainesville to make the most out of my experience living here, I have a very different view of the city which would qualify it for a #1 ranking as the, hands down, best place to live in Florida. Here are the points of my case:
  • Thanks to the University of Florida, we have one of the most decorated and richest sporting and scholastic traditions in all of the world - winning multiple national championships across multiple sports, as well as graduating multiple thought leaders and merit scholars into major contributors to society.  On top of that, the university has a long-standing position as one of the top 10 largest universities in the US.
  • Let's say, for some reason, you just can't assimilate to the culture of Gainesville and just need to get away.  Well, you'd be happy to know that Gainesville is within a 2-hour drive of some of the best and most active cities, attractions, and beaches that the state has to offer, including Daytona Beach, Orlando, Cedar Key, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Amelia Island and more!

  • Now, as a Chicagoan, I am intimately acquainted with one of the nation's most eaten delicacies: pizza!  Since I come from one of the pizza capitols of the world, I have earned my stripes to offer a qualified opinion on this matter.  With that being said, Satchel's Pizza, on the east side of Gainesville is, hand's down, one of the best pizza places in the nation -- You have to experience it.. and their atmosphere is an experience in itself. 
  • The natural springs of Alachua county are some of the most awe-inspiring and fun venues in all of the country.  Located just north of Gainesville on the Sante Fe River, Ginnie Springs offers tubing, cave diving, kayaking and more.  And you can also encounter one of the most gently-large, endangered species up close - the manatee.
     
  • We have a real "Miracle on 34th Street"! Coming from an urban scene where graffiti and other expressive wall art is frowned upon, Gainesville can boast that we encourage this form of
    expression.  The 34th street graffiti wall is an attraction and staple of the community, offering any citizen, or friend of the city, an opportunity to express themselves at any given time.
I can seriously go on about Gainesville, Florida - the town where I met my wife, the town where my son was born, and the town that I have grown to love and call myself a proud citizen of, but there seriously aren't enough characters nor enough time for me to write it all… and retain your attention at that.  So just take my word for it… Any outsider can spend a few days here: speaking with locals, frequenting a few spots here and there, but to truly know Gainesville, Florida, is to love it! And that's why it gets a #1 ranking all day long from me.  :)

Contact me if you have further questions or need anymore information.  I also love to hear your feedback if this information has been helpful to you.  Peace and increase!!

When it comes to Real Estate, Think Hurst First!

1 comment:

  1. Well said. We have a beautiful little city right here. And it's no "one trick pony" that relies solely on beautiful beaches for entertainment. We've got sports, plays, concerts, art museums, delicious restaurants and low traffic, pollution and crime. It's a great place to call home . Love GNV.

    ReplyDelete